This position paper on diabetes mellitus was prepared by the Research, Science and Therapy Committee of The American Academy of Periodontology.
It is intended to:
- update members of the dental profession on the diagnosis and medical management of patients with diabetes mellitus;
- summarize current knowledge on the relation between diabetes mellitus and periodontal diseases;
- provide an overview of factors in diabetic patients relevant to understanding the pathogenesis of periodontal diseases in these subjects;
- outline special considerations associated with treatment of periodontal diseases in diabetic patients; and
- discuss possible approaches to the management of diabetic emergencies in the dental office.
We invite you to learn more about the connection between diabetes and periodontal disease by reading this paper. Fill out the form below to receive a free download of this paper and other free reports. For more information and to schedule your visit to our dental office in Palm Desert, California, please call our friendly dentist and dental team. Dr. Anne Nicholas looks forward to serving you!